God values sacrifice! We see it all through scripture, under both the Old and New Covenants. Thankfully, we no longer shed the blood of animals to cover the guilt of our sin. Under the New Covenant, God sacrificed for us, removing our sin and proving His love by offering up the most precious sacrifice a person can give – their own life. What a God!
Sacrifice is a heart gift that displays love in a tangible way. Who isn’t deeply touched when someone shows their love with an act of personal sacrifice? Our Heavenly Father is no different. Our sacrifices for Him move His heart and bless Him.
What can we offer up to Him today? The following verses reveal the kind of sacrifices that are holy, acceptable & pleasing to Him:
- Thank offerings – “He who sacrifices thank offerings honors Me…” Ps.50:23
- A broken spirit & repentant heart – “The sacrifice You desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.” Ps.51:17
- Praise that openly confesses our allegiance – “Through Jesus, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that openly profess His name.” Heb.13:15
- Prayer & worship – “Let my prayer be as the evening sacrifice that burns like fragrant incense, rising as my offering to You as I lift up my hands in surrendered worship.” Ps.141:2b
- A yielded physical body – “…give your bodies to God because of all He has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice – the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him.” Ro.12:1
- Doing good & sharing – “Don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. Heb.13:16
- Giving to God’s people – “I am amply supplied, now that I have received…the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.” Ph.4:18
- Loving & sacrificing ourselves for others – “Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.” Eph.5:2
These sacrifices and offerings please the Lord. Yet even as we sacrifice to Him, He blesses us beyond measure. We can never out-give Him! Remember King David when he told the Lord he wanted to build Him a house? God responded by promising to build David’s generational house! Whose gift was greater? God’s gift was!
On a personal note, when we sold our newly-built ‘retirement home’ in order to continue in ministry, it was a real sacrifice for us. We simply knew we were to follow the Lord’s leading. Yet since that time, the Lord has blessed us with temporary housing in some of the most beautiful homes and locations you could imagine – way beyond anything we could have afforded or planned for ourselves. What a God!
We can’t lose – even in sacrifice – because our Father is just too kind and generous! Let us consider what sacrifices we can bless Him with today, in gratefulness for all He has done for us!